Information is still accessible from outside

Home Support Forums My Private Site Information is still accessible from outside

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Gewirtz 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

fimdomeio
    Participant

I was just trying out this plugin and it gives a false sense that your contents are safe from the outside world. Truth is all the sites contents are still available via the wordpress REST API.

There should be at least a visible warning about this.

How to replicate:
    curl ‘http://example.com/wp-json/wp/v2/posts’

David Gewirtz
    Developer

That’s discussed here:

Seamless Donations Troubleshooting Guide

Look for “How do I hide donors, donations, and funds from Google?”.

–David

fimdomeio
    Participant

Sorry but the link does not answer my question.
    So what you’re saying is that using this plugin pages are still indexed by google unless I use robots.txt?
    So this means that this plugin does not really disable page access because if a web crawler can get to it, everyone can.

In any case what I was refering to was the newly introduced REST API. One can disable it with something similiar to:

function RestAuth() {
    header(‘Content-Type: application/json’);
    http_response_code(403); // unauthorized
    echo “{data: {}, status: 403}”;
    exit();
    }

add_filter(‘rest_api_init’, ‘RestAuth’, 1, 1);

I then expanded this to allow for JWT authorization but it’s beyond the scope of the problem.

I hope it helps

David Gewirtz
    Developer

My apologies. I thought you were asking about a different plugin. My Private Site has not been updated to have any REST-awareness. But the big takeaway isn’t that. The big takeaway is that you should NOT use My Private Site for mission-critical security. It’s a free plugin, not a security system. If you have mission-critical security, you need to, at the very least, look into something like Restrict Content Pro or a membership plugin, or move your site to a managed service with a security technologist who can support your needs.

–David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.