Encrypted website payments only

Home Support Forums Seamless Donations PayPal issues Encrypted website payments only

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

karenc
    Participant

Hi, have just installed plugin and it’s really easy to setup. However when I tested it, I get the error “The seller accepts encrypted website payments only. You cannot pay the seller through un-encrypted buttons. Please contact your seller for more details.” How do I overcome this if we have to maintain the settings in Paypal to only accept encrypted website payments? Please advise, thanks.

David Gewirtz
    Developer

Here is some helpful reading on SSL. To understand why we’re dealing with this, read:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/paypal-et-al-web-site-kicked-in-the-saas/

To understand SSL support in Seamless Donations, read:

Adding https support to Seamless Donations 4.0.16

And to follow along with the lessons I learned hand-installing my own SSL certificate, read:

Tricks I learned installing my first SSL certificate

–David

karenc
    Participant

Hi David, thanks for your very quick response! There’s a lot of info there for me to read but I’ve quickly browsed thru it and will read in more detail later.

I just want to quickly add our site already has SSL installed and on the Seamless Donations settings, I have the green light to say that our site is compatible with Paypal’s requirements. Not sure if that means it complies with the Paypal settings of “Block Non-encrypted Website Payments” which is set to “On” in our client’s Paypal account.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

David Gewirtz
    Developer

I’m not sure. That’s a PayPal message (I think). PayPal gave me this number for Seamless Donations users to call if they need help. Not sure how good it is, but worth a try:

New Signups: 866-365-6319
    Customer Service: 888-221-1161

–David

karenc
    Participant

Hi David, yeah it’s a Paypal message and it’s because the Paypal account has chosen to block non-encrypted website payments. I have had a read about encrypting buttons here but I think it’s just way too much to do and I’m not even sure I can pull it off. I was hoping you would have a shortcut 😉

I probably won’t be calling that Paypal number as I’m not in the US! Thanks anyway.

I will check with the client if they are willing to accept non-encrypted website payments. Otherwise, they will just have to live with boring old Paypal buttons and multiple ones too, if they want donation categories, which is what your plugin was good for, aside from looking much better as well!

Cheers,
    Karen

David Gewirtz
    Developer

Well, here’s the thing. PayPal is going all-encrypted, if not now, pretty soon. So you might as well get it to work, because it will fail at some point if you don’t encrypt your communications.

–David

karenc
    Participant

That’s good advice, David. I don’t think I’m good enough to do it so I think I’ll stick with the boring Paypal standard buttons. Maybe you can consider doing a post on securing the HTML payment buttons soon…Thanks!

David Gewirtz
    Developer

You’re not encrypting the button. Your whole page needs to be encrypted, according to PayPal’s policies.

–David

karenc
    Participant

Our whole page is encrypted but the form still doesn’t work for us. I have double checked that all elements on the page is encrypted and the padlock is there. Still no luck for us.

David Gewirtz
    Developer

karenc
    Participant

Thanks, David. I know about this setting and this is what I meant in my original post when I said if there’s a way to make it work while maintaining the settings in Paypal to only accept encrypted website payments. Like you’ve said, Paypal is moving towards encrypted payments only, so we might as well get it all working now. It looks like we’re stuck with Paypal buttons for now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.